Words: Abi Goodman
Within Unit X 3rd year students from all disciplines have access to a series of Enrichment talks (subjects including: funding, using social media, going freelance, pricing, creating a digital presence) and can book to have portfolio sessions with industry professionals including:
- Lisa Salama – Experimental Textile Artist/Designer
- Andrew Brooks – Photographer and studio director
- Dave Sedgwick – Graphic Designer and Studio DBD Founder
- Phoebe English – Fashion Designer
- Susie Macmurray- Sculptor, 3D Design Specialist.
Before the Easter break, 3rd Year Textiles in Practice students were able to benefit from a Portfolio and Practitioner Day held just for them! Students were able to attend seminars on: getting ready to ‘go it alone’ by creating an image and identity as a practitioner, the good, the bad and the ugly of paper mounting; and tips on creating a knock-out online presence (including how to set up a website, online pdfs and look-books).
“Really helpful to speak to the practitioners and be able to look through portfolios. It was nice to see that there are so many TIP alumni doing amazing things! The seminars were also inspiring and useful, would be good to maybe repeat them for those who missed out.” (3rd Year Textiles in Practice Student)
In-between attending seminars students were able to drop-in to talk to invited practitioners (some of which once studied at Manchester School of Art), including:
- Rebecca Ough – a freelance weaving designer working on a commission for a mill in Norway.
- Zoe Grace Fletcher – sustainable knitwear designer and PhD researcher at MIRIAD. She has worked with People Tree, Kate Fletcher, The British Council, The Centre for Sustainable Design, Lily Cole and the North Circular. Her personal work has been shown across the UK, Sri Lanka and China.
- Carol Appleton – who worked as a Designer, Design Manager and Design Director for a American commercial carpet manufacturer (serving markets in UK, Europe, the Middle East, India and Africa). She now has her own design consultancy Repeat Designs Ltd.
- Christina Hesford – a textile artist who creates conceptual works for galleries, public and private spaces. She writes for textileartist.org and her work work will be next be exhibited at the 16th International Triennial of Tapestry in Poland from May to September.
- Elnaz Yasdani – a mixed media artist who has worked within fashion in particular in Amsterdam with Iris Van Herpen, and within jewellery, exhibitions and teaching.
- Hannah Sulek – a freelance practicing artist with a studio at the Artwork Atelier Studios in Salford.
- Lydia Cotterell – graduated in 2015 and now considers herself to be an Illustrator and Textile print maker, specializing in screen print. Lydia has created site-specific installations using her print designs and now has a range of cushions, which she sells online. Lydia is currently a participant on the Craft Councils Hothouse Programme 2016.
- Alice Kettle – Professor of Textiles at Manchester School of Art. Alice is a contemporary textile/fibre artist based in the UK and her work is represented in many international collections.
- Emma Crabtree – is a 3D Interactive and Illuminated Surface Designer. She provides freelance support to leading design companies. Her clients include Clients include M&S, Conran, UK Greetings, Tigerprint, ASDA, Sainsbury’s and Manchester International Festival.
Many thanks to all of the speakers and practitioners that made the day such a success.